- A dam is a human-made barrier that blocks the flow of water and results in the creation of a reservoir. Dams are mainly constructed to generate power using water. This form of energy produced is known as hydroelectric power.
- India, the land of rivers has massive potential for construction of huge dams, owing to the geographical features. In the north lies the Himalayan Mountain ranges, in central India lies the Plateaus, whereas along with southern India, Western and Eastern Ghats cover along the ocean borders of the country.
- Since independence, India has made a huge advancement in dams and of construction water reservoirs, Today India is one of the world’s most creative dam-builders. There are around 4300 huge dams already existing, almost half of which are more than twenty years old. These dams are a significant attraction of tourists from all over India.
Essential features of the dams.
- They provide adequate water for domestic, industry and irrigation purposes.
- They are used in Hydroelectric power production and river navigation.
- Dam Reservoirs are used for fishing and touring purpose, thus contributing towards livelihood to many.
- They are useful to regulate the flow of the river, thus helping in preventing floods.
Facts about the Indian dams
- Tehri Dam is the eighth biggest dam in the world.
- Idukki dam is the first Indian arch dam built over the Periyar river in Kerala and the largest arch dam in Asia.
- Grand Anicut or Kallanai, located on Holy Cauvery River situated in Tamil Nadu, is the oldest dam in India.
- Indira Sagar Dam has the Largest Reservoir in India accompanied by Nagarjunasagar and Gobind Sagar reservoir.
Below is the list of some of the important Dams in India
Important Dams in India
|Highest Dam in India||Tehri Dam (Uttarakhand)||Height: 260 meters Length: 575 meters River: Bhagirathi River Location: Uttarakhand Year of completion:2006 (1st phase)|
|Longest Dam in India||Hirakud Dam (Odisha)||Total Length: 25.79 km Length of Main Dam:4.8 km River: Mahanadi Location: Odisha Year of completion:1953|
|Oldest Dam in India||Kallanai Dam(Tamil Nadu)||River: Kaveri Location: Tamil Nadu Year of completion: 100 BC –100 AD|
- What are the 50 Largest Cities in the World?
- List of smallest countries in the World by area & population
Complete list of the Dams in India
List of Major Dams India
|Name of Dam||State||River|
|Nizam Sagar Dam||Telangana||Manjira River|
|Somasila Dam||Andhra Pradesh||Pennar River|
|Srisailam Dam||Andhra Pradesh||Krishna River|
|Singur dam||Telangana||Manjira River|
|Ukai Dam||Gujarat||Tapti River|
|Dharoi Dam||Gujarat||Sabarmati River|
|Kadana dam||Gujarat||Mahi River|
|Dantiwada Dam||Gujarat||Banas River|
|Pandoh Dam||Himachal Pradesh||Beas River|
|Bhakra Nangal Dam||Himachal Pradesh and Punjab Border||Sutlej River|
|Nathpa Jhakri Dam||Himachal Pradesh||Satluj River|
|Chamera Dam||Himachal Pradesh||Ravi River|
|Baglihar Dam||Jammu and Kashmir||Chenab River|
|Dumkhar Hydroelectric Dam||Jammu and Kashmir||Indus River|
|Uri Hydroelectric Dam||Jammu and Kashmir||Jhelum River|
|Maithon Dam||Jharkhand||Barakar River|
|Chandil Dam||Jharkhand||Swarnarekha River|
|Panchet Dam||Jharkhand||Damodar River|
|Tunga Bhadra Dam||Karnataka||Tungabhadra River|
|Linganamakki dam||Karnataka||Sharavathi River|
|Kadra Dam||Karnataka||Kalinadi River|
|Alamatti Dam||Karnataka||Krishna River|
|Supa Dam||Karnataka||Kalinadi or Kali river|
|Krishna Raja Sagara Dam||Karnataka||Kaveri River|
|Harangi Dam||Karnataka||Harangi River|
|Narayanpur Dam||Karnataka||Krishna River|
|Kodasalli Dam||Karnataka||Kali River|
|Malampuzha Dam||Kerala||Malampuzha River|
|Peechi Dam||Kerala||Manali River|
|Idukki Dam||Kerala||Periyar River|
|Kundala Dam||Kerala||Kundala Lake|
|Parambikulam Dam||Kerala||Parambikulam River|
|Walayar Dam||Kerala||Walayar River|
|Mullaperiyar Dam||Kerala||Periyar River|
|Neyyar Dam||Kerala||Neyyar River|
|Rajghat Dam||Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh Border||Betwa River|
|Barna Dam||Madhya Pradesh||Barna River|
|Bargi Dam||Madhya Pradesh||Narmada River|
|Bansagar Dam||Madhya Pradesh||Sone River|
|Gandhi Sagar Dam||Madhya Pradesh||Chambal River|
|Yeldari Dam||Maharashtra||Purna river|
|Ujani Dam||Maharashtra||Bhima River|
|Pawna Dam||Maharashtra||Maval River|
|Mulshi Dam||Maharashtra||Mula River|
|Koyna Dam||Maharashtra||Koyna River|
|Jayakwadi Dam||Maharashtra||Godavari River|
|Bhatsa Dam||Maharashtra||Bhatsa river|
|Wilson Dam||Maharashtra||Pravara River|
|Tansa Dam||Maharashtra||Tansa river|
|Panshet Dam||Maharashtra||Ambi River|
|Mula Dam||Maharashtra||Mula river|
|Kolkewadi Dam||Maharashtra||Vashishti River|
|Girna Dam||Maharashtra||Girana river|
|Vaitarna Dam||Maharashtra||Vaitarna river|
|Radhanagari Dam||Telangana||Bhogawati River|
|Lower Manair Dam||Telangana||Manair River|
|Mid Manair Dam||Telangana||Manair River and SRSP Flood Flow Canal|
|Upper Manair Dam||Telangana||Manair River and Kudlair River|
|Khadakwasla Dam||Maharashtra||Mutha River|
|Gangapur Dam||Maharashtra||Godavari river|
|Jalaput Dam||Andhra Pradesh and Odisha Border||Machkund River|
|Indravati Dam||Odisha||Indravati River|
|Hirakud Dam||Odisha||Mahanadi River|
|Vaigai Dam||Tamil Nadu||Vaigai River|
|Perunchani Dam||Tamil Nadu||Paralayar River|
|Mettur Dam||Tamil Nadu||Kaveri River|
|Govind Ballabh Pant Sagar Dam / Rihand dam||Uttar Pradesh||Rihand River|
|Tehri Dam||Uttarakhand||Bhagirathi River|
|Dhauli Ganga Dam||Uttarakhand||Dhauli Ganga River|
Get Free “Winspire Digital Worksheets of worth Rs. 129 Value”
Please enter your details to get the monthly E - Booklet + absolutely premium content to expand your horizons.