50 most interesting unknown facts about T20 Indian Premier League (IPL)
The T20 Indian Premier League (IPL) has grown over the years with a unique combination of cricket and entertainment. The IPL has inspired many other leagues based on the same format throughout the world. With the Indian Premier League just around the corner, there is a lot of excitement and apprehension among the fans. The one and a half months prolonged tournament has become a milestone event in the calendar year for many who watch cricket across the globe.
Since ten years of its origin, Indian Premier League has changed the entire panorama of cricket while bringing a vast pool of fans and high paying support. In its eleventh year, the IPL promises to be bigger, better and brighter and the lovers of the most lucrative cricketing league in the world want nothing more. Besides, it opened up enormous scopes for new and young talents over the world.
It was an inspiration from T20 leagues played in Australia and England, but it is a significant factor for making this format so popular across the globe. Total of 9 venues hosts the IPL matches. The eight home venues of the individual franchises host seven home games.
Here are 50 unknown facts about the Indian Premier league
- The Selling price of the Podcasting rights of IPL 2018 was a screeching amount of rupees 16347.5 crores to Star India Network. It foretells that one ball prices around 21 Lakh Rupees.
- Delhi Daredevils is the only team in IPL to never make it up to playing the IPL Final.
- Praveen Kumar has marked his name in the history of IPL by bowling the highest number of dot balls than anyone else up to date. He bowled 1075 dot balls in 119 Matches.
- Additionally, Praveen Kumar is also the bowler who has bowled the first-ever over in IPL.
- Moreover, Praveen Kumar is the bowler who has bowled the most number of maiden overs in the history of IPL. He has bowled 14 maiden overs.
- Sachin Tendulkar and Virat Kohli are the only two Indian players who have won the most estimable player award in the history of IPL.
- Chennai Super Kings is the only team in IPL that has never changed its captain.
- Amit Mishra made the record of the highest number of hat-tricks (3) in the history of IPL.
- Dale Steyn has the record of most number of dot balls in one IPL Season. In 17 matches, he had bowled 212 dot balls out of a total of 407 balls in IPL 2013.
- Virat Kohli has made the record of the highest number of runs in one IPL Season. He has made 973 runs in IPL 2016. He took 16 innings to reach this status, i.e. highest score with 113 runs in an innings.
- Ishant Sharma stands with the record of relinquishing most runs in an innings. He conceded 66 runs in 4 overs against CSK in IPL 2013.
- K.L. Rahul has made the record of fastest 50 (in 14 balls), and Chris Gayle holds the record of fastest 100 (in 30 balls) in IPL. And both of them are now playing for KXIP.
- Sachin Tendulkar is the first player from India to win the orange cap in IPL.
- There is no such record which is untouched by Sachin in the cricket world. He has made 618 runs in 15 matches including five fifties in IPL 2010.
- Shaun Marsh is the first orange cap holder in the initial season (2008) of IPL. He has made 616 runs in 11 matches including five fifties and one hundred in IPL 2008.
- Sohail Tanvir is the first purple cap holder in the inaugural season of IPL, i.e. 2008. He took 22 wickets in 11 matches with an economy rate of 6.46.
- Chris Gayle (in 2011 and 2012) and David Warner (in 2015 and 2016) have won the orange cap twice each in the history of IPL.
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar (SRH) is the only bowler who has won the purple cap twice in the IPL history.
- Mujeeb Ur Rahman marks his name in the IPL history to be the youngest player till date. He was merely 16 years old when he made his entry in IPL Auction 2018.
- Mujeeb Zadran (Mujeeb Ur Rahman) is the highest-paid under 19 player to feature in IPL 2018.
- Brad Hogg is the most adult player in the history of IPL. He was 45 years old when he last rivalled for KKR in IPL 2016.
- In 2015, Parthiv Patel became the first Indian player to play for 6 IPL franchises. He started his career with Chennai Super Kings in 2008. Then he went on to play for Kochi Tuskers Kerala (2011), Deccan Chargers (2012), Sunrisers Hyderabad (2013), Royal Challengers Bangalore (2014) and the Mumbai Indians from 2015 to 2017. And in IPL 2018, he played for Royal Challengers Bangalore.
- Aaron Finch is the first overseas player who plays for 6 IPL franchises. He has played for Rajasthan Royals, Delhi Daredevils, Pune Warriors, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Mumbai Indians and Gujrat Lions and Kings XI Punjab in 2018.
- LakshmipathyBalaji is the first bowler who took a hat-trick in IPL 2008. He picked up the first hat-trick against KXIP on 10th May 2008. He finished off with a five-wicket haul in that match.
- Ashish Nehra (for DD) and Fidel Edwards (for DC) are the two bowlers to bowl the most economical overs in the history of IPL. They both had the same bowling figures, i.e. they conceded six runs in 4 overs with one maiden over each and one wicket each.
- Zaheer Khan is the sole player to be a part of the very 1st game and the 500th game of the IPL.
- He played his 1st game for Royal Challengers Bangalore and 500th game for Delhi Daredevils.
- David Warner has made the record for scoring the most half-centuries in IPL (36)
- Chris Gayle has the record for making most centuries in IPL(6).
- Chris Gayle also stands with the record of winning man of the match award, the most number of times in IPL (20).
- West Indian ace batsman, Chris Gayle has also made the record for making the highest individual score in IPL. He had scored 175 runs while playing for RCB, in just 66 balls against Pune Warriors in 2013.
- Chris Gayle also holds the record for making the most number of sixes by a batsman in IPL history. He has hit 292 sixes in 112 Matches (till 20th May 2018)
- Kings XI Punjab is the only team to change its captain 11 times in 11 seasons of IPL.
- CSK has reached the final six times instead of a two-year suspension from IPL, and this is the most number of finals earned by any other team in the history of IPL. CSK won the IPL trophy for two straight years, i.e. 2010 and 2011.
- CSK is the sole team to qualify for playoffs in every season of the IPL (except for two years due to ban).
- Chennai Super Kings lost four times in the IPL final which is the most number of loss by any team in IPL.
- Lasith Malinga is the highest wicket-taker in IPL with a total of 154 wickets in 110 matches.
- Rohit Sharma has been a part of the IPL winning team for the most number of times (4).
- Sandeep Lamichhane is the first and the only Nepalese cricketer to play in the Indian Premier League. He was just 17 years old when he was bought in the IPL Auction in 2018 for 20 lakh rupees.
- Manzoor Dar (24) is the only player from Jammu and Kashmir who played in IPL 2018. KXIP bought him for 20 lakh rupees. He plays cricket during daytime and works as a security guard during the night. His story is very inspiring.
- Chennai Super Kings has the highest winning ratio, i.e. 60.42 per cent in IPL. CSK has played a total of 144 matches and has won 87 out of them.
- Mumbai Indians have made the record of the biggest ever winning in the history of the IPL. MI defeated DD (Delhi Daredevils) by a massive margin of 146 runs in IPL 2017.
- Kolkata Knight Riders have made the record for most consecutive wins in a single season of IPL. In 2014, KKR won 9 matches continuously.
- Delhi Daredevils (DD) and Pune Warriors (PW) stands with the record for the most consecutive defeats (9) in the single-season of IPL.
- RCB has the record for making the highest and the lowest score in an IPL match. Highest score being 263/5 against Pune Warriors in 2013 and the lowest score being 49 against Kolkata Knight Riders in 2017.
- Mumbai Indians holds the record for most wins by any team in IPL. They have won 91 out of 157 matches till date.
- Rajasthan Royals (RR) holds the record for the highest successful run chase in IPL. They chased 214 runs in 19.5 overs against Deccan Chargers in 2008. RR made 217 runs with the loss of 7 wickets in 19.5 overs.
- Piyush Chawla is the only bowler who has never bowled a no-ball till 386th over in IPL history.
- AB de Villiers and Kieron Pollard are the only two overseas players who have played more than 100 matches for a single franchise.
- Chris Gayle remains unsold in IPL 2011 and 2018. This is also one of the most shocking facts about IPL.
- IPL is the first tournament in the cricket history where four female commentators participated in the commentary.
We’ve created this content for informational purposes only, and it reflects the views of its respective authors/entities (freelancers/interns) and not those of Winspire Magazine. Winspire Magazine does not endorse or vouch for the accuracy of the information provided in this content. It is the reader’s responsibility to verify and ensure the information is correct and up-to-date. Winspire Magazine disclaims any liability or responsibility for any damages or losses from using this content. Therefore, readers should take all necessary steps to verify the accuracy and reliability of any information presented in this content.