As the Executive head of the government of the United States, POTUS (President of the United States) is arguably the most compelling government official in the world. He is elected to a four-year term through an electoral college system. Following the Twenty-second Amendment adoption in 1951, no president can occupy the office for more than two terms.
- The president acts as the nation’s chief administrator, functioning at once as the commander-in-chief of the military, head of a political party, and the chief executive officer of the federal government.
- The president is concurrently the representative head of state of the nation, a notable figure at global events, ceremonies of historical importance, and an embodiment of the core values of American society.
- In this multifaceted role, duties encompass the power to enact or veto legislation, negotiate & treaties with foreign governments, issue executive orders, and to condone or extend clemency for federal crimes.
There have been 45 presidents till date.
- The youngest president was John F. Kennedy at age 43 while, the oldest being Ronald Reagan at age 69.
- The longest-serving president was Franklin D. Roosevelt, serving four terms, he died shortly into his fourth term in office.
- William Henry Harrison was the shortest-serving president; he died from pneumonia after a month in office.
List of Presidents of United States
|2||1797 -1801||John Adams||Federalist|
|6||1825-1829||John Quincy Adams||Democratic-Republican|
|8||1837 -1841||Martin Van Buren||Democratic|
|9||1841-1841||William Henry Harrison||Whig|
|11||1845-1849||James K. Polk||Democratic|
|16||1861-1865||Abraham Lincoln||Republican & National Union|
|17||1865-1869||Andrew Johnson||National Union|
|18||1869-1877||Ulysses S. Grant||Republican|
|19||1877-1881||Rutherford B. Hayes||Republican|
|20||1881-1881||James A. Garfield||Republican|
|21||1881-1885||Chester A. Arthur||Republican|
|25||1897 – 1901||William McKinley||Republican|
|27||1909-1913||William Howard Taft||Republican|
|29||1921-1923||Warran G. Harding||Republican|
|32||1933-1945||Franklin D. Roosevelt||Democratic|
|33||1945-1953||Harry S. Truman||Democratic|
|34||1953-1961||Dwight D. Eisenhower||Republican|
|35||1961-1963||John F. Kennedy||Democratic|
|36||1963-1969||Lyndon B. Johnson||Democratic|
|41||1989-1993||George H.W. Bush||Republican|
|43||2001-2009||George W. Bush||Republican|