The Governor acts as the chief executive head of the State and works as the representative of the central Government. Every action initiated in the State is done in the name of Governor by the executive power, i.e. chief minister of the State. At present India has 28 state governors and eight administrators/Lieutenant Governor (LG) of Union Territories. Governor acts as the constitutional head of each State.
Being the formal head of the State, various responsibilities rest with the Governor and the Lieutenant Governor/Administrator.
Articles 153 to 167 in Part VI of the Indian Constitution deals with the State Executive body. The State Executive body consists of the Governor, the Chief Minister, the Council of Ministers and the Advocate General of the State.
Governor of India – Role and Responsibilities:
Various responsibilities of the State rest with the Governor and the Lieutenant Governor. Given below are these responsibilities in brief
- The Governor of a State lays down the Legislative, Judicial, Executive and Financial powers.
- He has the right to address, summon, differ and dissolve the respective State Legislatures
- In case of unanticipated circumstances, the Governor restraints the right to make advances from the State Emergency Fund
- The State Governor elects the Chief Justice of a State High Court.
- Governor has the right to select the Chief Minister for their states in case of a tie in Assembly elections
- the President’s rule in a State is acted upon by the Governor, in case of constitutional emergency,
- He has the power to disqualify any member from elections with the consent of the Election Commission
- State Legislators has to abide by the Governor’s opinion while laying the state budget.
List of Current Governors of Indian States & Union Territories
|Andhra Pradesh||Shri Biswa Bhusan Harichandan|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Brig. (Dr.) B. D. Mishra (Retd.)|
|Assam||Prof. Jagdish Mukhi|
|Bihar||Shri Phagu Chauhan|
|Chhattisgarh||Sushri Anusuiya Uikey|
|Goa||Shri Satya Pal Malik|
|Gujarat||Shri Acharya Dev Vrat|
|Haryana||Shri Satyadeo Narayan Arya|
|Himachal Pradesh||Shri Bandaru Dattatraya|
|Jharkhand||Shrimati Droupadi Murmu|
|Karnataka||Shri Vajubhai Vala|
|Kerala||Shri Arif Mohammed Khan|
|Madhya Pradesh||Shri Lal Ji Tandon|
|Maharashtra||Shri Bhagat Singh Koshyari|
|Manipur||Dr. Najma Heptulla|
|Meghalaya||Shri Tathagata Roy|
|Mizoram||Shri P.S. Sreedharan Pillai|
|Nagaland||Shri R. N. Ravi|
|Odisha||Prof. Ganeshi Lal|
|Punjab||Shri V.P. Singh Badnore|
|Rajasthan||Shri Kalraj Mishra|
|Sikkim||Shri Ganga Prasad|
|Tamil Nadu||Shri Banwarilal Purohit|
|Telangana||Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan|
|Tripura||Shri Ramesh Bais|
|Uttar Pradesh||Smt. Anandiben Patel|
|Uttarakhand||Smt. Baby Rani Maurya|
|West Bengal||Shri Jagdeep Dhankhar|
List of Lieutenant Governors and Administrators for Union Territories
The Lieutenant Governor is elected by the President of India for a tenure of five years. The role of Lieutenant Governors in a Union Territory is similar to that of a Governor in any State. There are 8 Union Territories in India, below is the list of Lieutenant Governor and Administrators.
|Union Territory||Lieutenant Governor (LG)/ Administrator|
|Andaman & Nicobar Islands||Admiral D.K. Joshi (LG)|
|Chandigarh||Shri V.P. Singh Badnore (Administrator)|
|Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu||Shri Praful Patel (Administrator)|
|The Government of NCT of Delhi||Shri Anil Baijal (LG)|
|Jammu & Kashmir||Shri Girish Chandra Murmu (LG)|
|Ladakh||Shri Radha Krishna Mathur (LG)|
|Lakshadweep||Shri Dineshwar Sharma (Administrator)|
|Puducherry||Dr. Kiran Bedi (LG)|
Get Free “Winspire Digital Worksheets of worth Rs. 129 Value”
Please enter your details to get the monthly E - Booklet + absolutely premium content to expand your horizons.